10 Health Benefits of Avocado
Forget about having an apple a day – if you want to stay healthy, try eating an avocado every day.
We all know that avocados are considered as the healthiest fruit on planet and contain in abundance the 25 essential nutrients including iron, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium as well as a unique blend of vitamin A, B, C, E, and K.
The creamy green fruit is also rich in protein, fiber, and several types of phytochemicals that prevent against many disease and illness.
Avocados are popularly used as the base of Mexican dip “guacamole” and are equally used in a number of vegan and non-vegan cuisines. Indonesian countries also use avocados for milkshakes, ice creams and desserts.
The rich, creamy, and flavorful fruit is considered a versatile addition to any dish. They have a high fat content, but it is mostly mono-saturated fat which is healthy fat.
Here are 10 health benefits of avocado which will motivate you in including more of the super food in your everyday diet.
1. Maintain a healthy heart: Avocados are an excellent source of monounsaturated oleic acid. These fats are the primary component in olive oil and are responsible for some of its benefits. This means that avocados not only reduce blood cholesterol levels but in turn, reduces the risk of heart diseases.
2. Rich in potassium even higher than bananas: Potassium is one nutrient that we should all be getting more of. According to the American Heart Association, potassium helps regulate the intake of salt which increases blood pressure. Avocados are high in potassium and contain 14% of the RDA while bananas are touted to provide 10% RDA.
3. Anti-inflammatory properties: Avocados are full of omega 3 fatty acids, phytosterols, polyhydroxylated fatty alcohols, and carotenoid antioxidants reduce the risk of inflammation and degenerative disorders such as arthritis and osteoarthritis.
4. Controls blood sugar: The high levels of mono-saturated fats present in avocados can help stop insulin resistance which helps normalize blood sugar levels. It also contains a soluble fiber which balances the blood sugar levels.
5. Protects against cancer: Avocado extracts have been shown to inhibit the growth of prostate cancer. The oleic acid is also known to be effective against breast cancer and reduces the side effects of chemotherapy.
6. Prevents birth defects: Avocados are a great choice for moms-to-be. The fruit contains a significant amount of folic acid which is an essential nutrient that helps prevent birth defects like spina bifida and neural tube defects.
7. Protection of eyes: Avocados are high in anti-oxidants and contain Lutein and Zeaxanthin which helps protect against age-related eye problems such as cataract and macular degeneration.
8. Skin care: Avocados are found in many cosmetic products and has the ability to nourish the skin and make your skin glow. They reduce skin redness, irritation, controls acne, and prevent wrinkles and other visible signs of aging.
9. Constipation: The high fiber food is beneficial for improving digestion, encouraging regular bowel movements, and relieves constipation.
10. Weight Loss: Many people are surprised to hear that fruit so high in fats is also beneficial in promoting weight loss. According to a study, the people who ate 1 avocado were 23 % more satisfied and had 28% lower desire to eat over the next five hours.
These were just some of the health benefits of avocado. The super food is rich in nutrients that we often lack in our modern diet. So make sure to pick a few of them when you go grocery shopping the next time.
At Feel Good Desserts we love avocados so much that we even add them to desserts. Here are two fun recipes with avocado: