I really love how this recipe was created – it’s super simple, very afforable to make and tastes delicious!
To begin the first thing you have to do is cook your sweet potato.
Once this is complete I found after many attempts that whipping it in my Kitchen Aid mixer made it the easiest to work with and form a dough.
You will want to wait until the mashed/whipped sweet potato has cooled significally before you try to roll all the Cinnamon Buns together.
Next add in the Cassava Flour and Sea Salt and mix again. I use my kitchen aid mixer for this as well and it forms the perfect ball of dough.
Next is the filling!
Melt your coconut oil over medium heat on the stove or use the microwave. Then mix in the remaining ingredients.
You can add some more coconut sugar if it’s not quite a sandy paste.
Rolling the dough is simple when you use parchment paper! I actually typically do this for all my recipes, because when you are not using regular flour and sugar dough is often stickier.
Roll between two pieces of parchment paper until it’s about 1-2 cm thick. Don’t worry if it’s not a perfect shape, your cinnamon buns won’t be either!
Then add the filling on top. Spread it around until it is even. Don’t go too close to the edges or it will pour out!
Next cut the strips to your desired size. The original recipe includes some extra steps and makes full-sized Cinnamon Buns. I personally have tried both ways and LOVE making them mini and bite sized for on the go snacks.
Take your time now, sit down and put some tunes on as you roll each individual bun!
You’ll see in the images mine are all about an inch wide and 2-3 inches long.
Next it’s time to bake them for 30-35 minutes. I personally like them a little extra cripsy on the edges and soft inside.
You will find the perfect time length for your tastebuds and oven!
Mini Cinnamon Buns
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract optional
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Coconut Sugar Plus 3 tbsp
- 2 cups Sweet Potato (Boiled & Mashed)
- 2/3 cup Cassava Flour
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- To begin, peel, boil and mash the sweet potato. Once mashed measure out 2 cups and allow to cool.2 cups Sweet Potato (Boiled & Mashed)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Once the mashed sweet potato has cooled, add in the cassava flour and sea salt until it's well combined. If needed add extra cassava flour.2 cups Sweet Potato (Boiled & Mashed), 2/3 cup Cassava Flour, 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Next melt your coconut oil and combine the remaining filling ingredients together. If you find it not to be a sandy paste add up to 3 tbsp more of coconut sugar.1/4 cup Coconut Oil (Melted), 2 tbsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp Vanilla Extract, 1/2 tsp Sea Salt, 1/4 cup Coconut Sugar
Creating Mini Cinnamon Buns
- Place the ball of dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll until about 1cm thick .
- Spread out the filling on top using a spatula.
- Cut in half with a sharp knife and then make long 1 inch strips.
- Roll each strip together and place on a baking sheet. If you find them not sticking together very well you can add a tiny bit of water to your hands to make them stick.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes then enjoy!